It is officially starting to feel like summer here in New England, and so we must celebrate with a “kick off to summer” post. The gals, and I rounded up our favorite finds in summer recipes, beauty, travel, fashion, music, and more. Major Kudos to Heidi, our graphic designer, who put this together for us, and for being SO patient as we changed our minds 7-800 times! Hope you enjoy…
1. Pottery Barn Kids: Rugby Stripe Baby Cover Up 2. Marc by Marc Jacobs: Rimless Sunglasses 3. Honest Company: Swim Diapers 4. Oh My Diveta: Baby Powder Puff Talc Free Baby Powder 5. Hampton Sun: Natural Sunscreen for Baby 6. RMS Beauty: Raw Coconut Cream 7. Sensi Studio: Maxi Woven Toquilla Straw Tote 8. Turkish-T: Beach Candy Basic
Darling: The Art of Being a Woman, Erin Gleeson: The Forest Feast: Simple Vegetarian Recipes from My Cabin in the Woods, and Luke Barr: Provence, 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, and the Reinvention of American Taste.
1. Baublebar: Wavelengths Midi Ring 2. Gorjana: Marina Midi Ring 3. BP: Arrow Midi Ring 4. Children of Flowers: Sterling Silver Feather Knuckles Ring 5. Knobby: Gold Knuckle Ring 6. Maria Black: Set of Three Midi Rose Gold-Plated Rings
Canelle at Vanille: Beet Chips with Aoli
Beet chips with aioli
Serves 4 to 6
2 medium yellow beets, peeled
2 medium Chioggia beets, peeled
2 medium red beets, peeled
Sea salt, to taste
Aioli (recipe follows)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks at room temperature
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons light olive oil
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Thinly slice the beets with a mandoline or a very sharp knife. They have to be paper-thin or they won’t fry well.
2. Add canola oil into a cast iron pan and heat the oil to 350F. If you don’t have a thermometer, just add one slice of beet and watch to see when it start to sizzle and fry to a crisp. Add the beets in batches without overcrowding the pan starting with the yellow beets, then the Chioggia and the red at the end. This will keep their color.
3. Fry the beets until crispy and the edges turn golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon or spider and place them on a plate with paper towels to remove excess oil. Sprinkle the beets with sea salt. Repeat until you have fried all the beets. Serve the beet chips with aioli.
4. To make the aioli, mix the garlic and salt in a mortar and mash it with the pestle until it forms a paste. Combine the garlic paste, egg yolks, and lemon juice in a small blender and blend to combine. While the blender is running, slowly drizzle in the light olive oil. It is very important that the oil is added slowly or the emulsion will break. The aioli will begin to thicken. At this point, add a teaspoon of warm water. Continue by slowly adding the extra-virgin olive oil. If it becomes too thick, add another teaspoon of warm water to loosen the aioli. It will keep for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Try some other gluten free snacks!
The Outfit: Anthropologie: Illuminado Earrings, Mara Hoffman: Shift Dress, Marie Turnor: The Lunch Clutch, and Stuart Weitzman: Caesar Flat Gladiator Sandals Beauty Products: Moroccan Oil: Glimmer Shine, Eyeko: Alexa Ching Eye Do Mascara, Anthropologie: Mermaid Perfume N. 1, and Albeit: Nourishing Lip Balm.
1. Toast: Anatolian Striped Bath Towel 2. Kate Spade New York: ‘South Popular Street-Lacey’ Wallet 3. Ika Bags: Linen Herringbone Tote 4. Kingston: Digital DataTraveler 32GB 5. Juice Beauty: SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer 6. Vidal Sassoon: Bobby Pins 7. Canon EOS 6D 8. Original & Mineral: Know Knott Detangling Spray 9. Drybar: Lemon Drop Daily Detangler 10. Le Pen 11. Canson: Classic Hardcover Sketchbook
Not Without Salt: Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Cake
Serves 10 – 12
Brown Butter Butterscotch
1 stick/ 4 ounces unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Toasted Walnuts and Oats
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 scant cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb
1 pound strawberries, sliced
3 stalks rhubarb or 2 cups/300 g sliced
1/2 cup sugar
Whipped Soured Cream
1 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 – 1/2 gallon (1.75 quarts) containers vanilla ice cream
For the browned butter butterscotch: Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Continue to let the butter boil until it smells nutty and when you carefully swirl the pan you can see speckled milk solids on the bottom of the pan turning golden. Add the sugar and cream then boil over for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove the pan from the heat then stir in vanilla and salt.
Let cool or refrigerate until ready to use.
Store leftover butterscotch, covered, in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
For the toasted walnuts and oats: Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
Combine butter, sugar, oats, walnuts, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
Pour the oat mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Stir halfway through the baking time.
For the roasted strawberries and rhubarb: While the toasted walnuts and oats are roasted prepare the fruit. Toss the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar together then lay in an even layer on a parchment lined sheet tray. Roast in a 400°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes until soft and the juices bubble and is slightly thickened.
For the whipped soured cream: Prepare the whipped cream while the roasted fruit and the oats cool. Combine the cream, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the whisk attachment. Whip until soft peaks form.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble the cake:
Add half of the cooled, toasted walnuts and oats to the bottom of a 9 or 10-inch spring-form pan.
On top of the oats add one 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream. This works best if the ice cream is a bit soft.
On top of that layer add the rest of the toasted oats and 1/2 cup or so of the brown butter butterscotch. More is perfectly acceptable, just save some for serving.
Stick the ice cream cake in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Remove from the freezer then top with the other 1/2 gallon of ice cream.
Just before serving pipe on the whipped cream (or just plop in on) around the edges then put the cooled roasted fruit in the center.
Serve the slices with more butterscotch and whipped cream.
You can assemble the cake entirely ahead but then the fruit and cream will be frozen so I like to wait until the last moment but have everything made ahead and ready for assembly.
For more recipes from Not Without Salt visit the site here!
Heather Hawkins: Splendor Rose Cut Earrings, ONE by Pink Stitch: Resort Maxi Dress, Aych Designs: CU Necklace, Mocahete: Handcrafted Forged Copper Bangle, Addiction to Detail: Copper Metal Cuff, Dawily: Raw Copper Ring, Madeline Chadwick: Black Elk Hide Braided Wrap Bag, and Toms: Black Crochet Women’s Strappy Wedges
1. Royal Botanicals: Rose Geranium Bath Soak 2. Earth Tu Face: Face Balm 3. Ecco Bella: Natural Mist on Toner and Vitamin Spray 4. Ecco Bella: Natural Age Antidote Day Skin 5. Hourglass: Calligraphy Liquid Eyeliner 6. Bare Minerals: Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 7. Gabriel: Mascara 8. Hourglass: Calligraphy Liquid Eyeliner 9. Gabriel: Blush 10. Ecco Bella: Good for you Gloss
1. Boston Red Sox: “MLB Hot Corner 47 FRANCHISE Cap” 2. Maui Jim: Mavericks 3. J. Crew Factory: Large Beach Towel in Anchor 4. EOS: Smooth Sphere Lip Balm – Sweet Mint 5. Vineyard Vines: Neon Canvas Tiller Tote 6. Aveeno: Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 70 7. Weightless: Hydration Oil Coconut Water
The One & Only by Emily Griffin, Falling Home by Karen White, The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks, Dustin Lynch: Where It’s At, Justin Timberlake: Not a Bad Thing, UB40: The Way You Do the Things You Do, and Sam Hunt: Raised on It
This Rawsome Vegan Life: Fruit Popsicles with Coconut Milk
Asos: Made: Gishanda Solid Collar Necklace, Lulu’s: Honey Punch: That’s a Wrap Long Sleeve Mint, Rebecca Minkoff: Traingle Threader Earrings, Michael Kors: Double Wrap Leather Strap Watch, Jessica Simpson: Carmyne Platform Sandals, Tory Burch: Robinson Middy Satchel. Beauty Products: BENEFIT COSMETICS: They’re Real! Mascara, NARS: Lip Gloss, and Chanel Chance: Eau de Toilette
1. Bumble and Bumble: Surf Spray 2. Harmless Harvest: Coconut Water 3. Sun Bum: Lip Balm SPF 30 4. Maui Babe: Browning Lotion 5. Maui Jim: Dawn Patrol Polarized 6. Bella: Super-Wide Headwrap 7. Aviator Nation: Hoodie 8. Vaalbara: Santa Fe Signature Tote Bag 9.Urban Outfitters: Our Open Road Peruvian Textile
Beard & Bonnet: Tropical Granola (Gluten Free & Vegan)
¼ cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups gluten free oats
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup raw cashews
¼ golden flax seeds
⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ cup hemp hearts
⅓ cup roasted & salted pepitas
⅓ cup chopped pineapple
1 tablespoon crystallized ginger
Preheat the oven to 275°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
You also get the Mindful Mama Workbook for FREE just for subscribing!