Last week I was supposed to be in NYC for not only a fun family trip, but also for some important business meetings. Typically I am pretty bad at listening to my inner voice and my body. It’s something I am always trying to do better. This time, I actually followed my own advice and realized that I was too large, tired, and just not feeling up for a 6 hour road trip with two kids (which normally I love!). It didn’t feel right to put my body through the physical parts of driving (while pregnant) and being in the city with small children. So, I decided to cancel my plans and stay home.
I thought I would feel relieved, but I actually became anxious and doubtful of my decision hours after! Listening to my body is not something I am used to. Usually I ignore, end up pushing myself, and then have a great (although physically exhausting) time. However, after sleeping on it, I felt much better about my decision and had a great week catching up on not only home and work projects, but also with the kids. With a cleared schedule, it made some room for quality family time. All in all, it was the wiser and better decision for me at that time.
I thought of some great questions to ask yourself when trying to make a similar decision to listen to your mind and body. Following that inner voice takes practice but I think we all could listen more carefully to our intuition. I hope this helps…
1. If I don’t do this, will I get fired and/or lose a client?
2. If I back out will I feel OK or anxious about my decision?
3. Will I be able to accomplish more if I cancel _____?
4. Will I lose money if I don’t go to _____?
5. What will I do with my time, once I have cleared this task from my schedule?
6. How will this impact my business and the work of my colleagues/and or clients?
7. If I went, what would I really gain?
8. Most importantly, can this be done another day? Or during another time/trip?
These questions should help you listen to your mind and body, but I would love to hear how you make tough decisions. Do make pro/con lists? Is listening to your inner voice easy or does it come naturally to you? I would love to hear more so please email me, comment below or head on over to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and let me know!
Photography by Lisa Elizabeth Images
You also get the Mindful Mama Workbook for FREE just for subscribing!