For the last two weeks I have not written a single thing. I didn’t write a blog post or journal entry, nor an Instagram or Facebook status….NOTHING. Why you ask? Because absolutely nothing was inspiring me. Below is a list of (excuses) reasons why I have not put pen to paper…
- I am tired-seriously I am though?
- I am not inspired by anything-now I am whining…
- I don’t have time-ah yes, don’t you love this one?
- I went on vacation to unplug-yes, I did do that but I brought my notebook and still didn’t write a darn thing.
- It’s so cold and gross out who could be inspired it’s so dreary?! Truth.
Now that you know my lame excuses for not writing, I can tell you that it was more of a STRUGGLE thinking about sitting at my desk today than it was to actually just do it! When your days start to blend together it feels impossible to get motivated to do anything. Here is exactly how I got moving today.
- The two older kids were at school and so I had some free time between 9 and 12:15. I got the baby on the afternoon nap schedule but she still wants to cat nap in the morning and I usually keep her up but today I let her sleep from 10:30-11:30.
- I then promptly made a cup of tea and sat on my back steps and listened to nature for 2-3 minutes. The outdoors can be really grounding and conjure up deep thoughts and inspiration.
- Next, I went inside and pulled out my all time favorite book off the bookshelf. Even though I have already read it 15 times, I skipped right to my favorite chapter and just read a few pages. A few ideas started flowing so I held my pen and notebook between my hands.
- After I put the book back, I grabbed my notebook and wrote down 3 places that I really want to travel to and specific reasons why. Once I started thinking about all these dreamy locations it sparked something in me, and I ran into my office, cleared the desk and started typing.
After about 30 minutes of writing I had typed up almost 2 pages, and started this blog post. All it took was one hour of my time. When the baby started to cry I left my desk as is, and rocked her while she wiped the sleep from her eyes. I was already day dreaming about returning back to my work which is my tell tale sign that creativity is back. I think the last few weeks I have been too much pressure on myself to get some writing down during the 2 hour break I have in the afternoon while the girls sleep. It was stifling my creative juices. After getting two pages out in just an hour I feel amazingly accomplished.
I would love to know how you get motivated and find inspiration. If you would let me know either in the comment section below or over on Instagram that would be lovely.
Here are some of my favorite things this month as well. I hope you enjoy!
Josefina: Josefina Black Large Baby Bag, Cape Cod Soy Candle: No. 019 Namaste, Jacquie Aiche: Trio Beaded Anklet, ASOS: Chunky Sweater, Christian Louboutin: Pigalle Follies’ Pointy Toe Pump, NYX: Jumbo Eye Pencil, IT Cosmetics: Bye Bye Under Eye Anti-Aging Concealer, Warby Parker: Jennings Glasses, Mario Badescu: Super Collagen Mask, and Suite One Studio: Mimira Mug
Dapper & Darling: Silhouettes, Stella Maria Baer: Moon Paintings, Serena & Lily: Capiz Scalloped Chandelier, Anthropologie: Scalloped Shelf, Land of Art: Raccoon Family Wall Art, Serena & Lily: Henley Wool Throw, Serena & Lily: Solid La Jolla Baskets, Pottery Barn: Carolyn Tufted Upholstered Slipper Chair, Serena & Lily: Cooper Leather Stool, and Anthropologie: Rinzai Rug