This weekend we will let all the great dads in our lives how much we appreciate them, and what a better way to kick off the week than with a little Father’s Day gift guide! I love this selection of local brews…Dads need to kick back and relax too! I am super excited to also share with you some amazing grilling tips, and an amazing recipe from our favorite food extraordinaire, Sweet Paul! Enjoy!
1. Prep everything beforehand – I’m used to working on a lot of dishes at the same time when I cook, but with grilling I always make sure to prep EVERYTHING before I actually begin to cook anything on the grill. I always have my table set, my side dishes all prepared and all of my raw ingredients ready to go and then I focus on the actual grilling.
2. Use the equipment you’re comfortable with – I love to grill on both gas and charcoal grills. I think that either equipment will yield amazing results as long as you use great ingredients and techniques that you’re comfortable with! Just remember… when it comes time to grill, focus solely on that task to avoid burnt or overcooked food!
3. Download an app or two – There are some really fantastic grilling apps for both iOS and Android. Many of the apps have info on cuts of meat, techniques, recipes, doneness guides, and timers. Two of my favorites are the Weber Grills app and the Kansas City Steak Company App… both are free!
4. Remember the condiments – A little extra effort before a barbecue can really wow your guests. I like to make homemade mayo and sometimes homemade ketchup even and I also always have a good selection of fancy mustards.
5. Don’t forget the pickles! – I’m a little obsessed with pickles right now…. and I’m not just talking pickled cucumbers. try out a quick pickled onion or radish to make your BBQ table even more fantastic!
6. Grilled veggies are a hit with everyone – make sure to stock up on your favorite veggies and grill them before you start with the meat. I love to use a simple splash of good olive oil and sea salt and pepper on zucchini, mushrooms, onions, eggplant, and whatever else is fresh at the market.
7. You can also grill dessert – look online for some amazing grilled fruit recipes. Last year I was constantly grilling peaches and topping them with Greek yogurt and honey. This year I think I might experiment with some grilled pizzas topped with fruit and berries… be creative!
-Paul, Sweet Paul Magazine
Recipe provide by Paul, of Sweet Paul Magazine:
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 cup crumbled feta
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
pinch of red chili flakes
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 Pounds ground lamb
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
salt and pepper
4 pita breads
1. Start with the feta pesto. 2. In a bowl mix feta, pine nuts, mint, chili and olive oil. 3. Stir well. 4. In a large bowl mix lamb and spices. 5. Shape into 4 patties and season with salt and pepper. 6. Place on a medium hot grill, they need 4 minutes on each side for medium. 7. Serve with pita, lettuce and pesto.
Photo by Frances Janisch
Char Griller: Dou Gas/Charcoal Griller, Webber: Summit E-670 Gas Grill, Char-Broil: American Gourmet 800 Series Charcoal Grill, Bayou: Classic Cypress Ceramic Grill with Cart, Primo: 774 Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Grill, and Broil King: Imperial XL NG.
Mr. Bar B Q Inc.: Premium Locking Tongs, Cuisinart: Non-Stick Grilling Basket, Mr. Bar B Q Inc.: Tough Brush, Charcoal Companion: Explorer Folding Handle Grilling Fork, Kingsford: Rectangular Grill Press, and Man Law: BBQ Wing Rack
prAna: ‘Talon’ Mock Neck Quarter Zip Sweater, The North Face: ‘Reaxion’ T-Shirt, Under Armour: ‘Reflex’ HeatGear Shorts, Ascis: ‘Gel-Lyte’ 33 2.0 Running Shoe, Saucony: ‘Hurricane 15’ Running Shoe, Bose: SIE2i Sport Headphones, Apple: iPod touch 16G Black, Belkin: Dual Fit Armband for iPod touch, Thule: ‘Crossover’ Sling Backpack, Adidas: Performance ‘adiZero’ digital Sport Watch, and Camelbak: Eddy Bottle.
J.Crew: Leather Patterned Case for iPhone 5 and Men’s Backup Battery for iPhone, Mougin & Piquard: Chronograph Watch, Ray-Ban: Aviator Sunglasses, J.Crew: Ticking-Strip Belt, Tanner Goods: Camera Strap, and Nikon: D7100
J.Crew: 9″ Board Shorts in Bold Stripe, Hilfiger: Denim Stripe Swim Shorts, Polo Ralph Lauren: Sanibel Swim Shorts, Brooks Brothers: Anchor Print Swim Trunks and Preppy Plaid Board Shorts, and Polo Ralph Lauren: Traveler Striped Swim Short.
Books: Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction by Bobby Flay, Stephanie Banyas, and Sally Jackson, How to Make Every Put: The Secret to Winning Golf’s Game Within the Game: by Joseph Parent, and Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero by Chris Matthews
You also get the Mindful Mama Workbook for FREE just for subscribing!