Most of us (mostly me) don’t truly embrace spring because we are thinking about how it leads us to summer and warmer weather. Spring is such a beautiful season! Birds chirping, delicious foods sprouting, and flowers blooming. We should all take some time to stop and smell the roses, literally! Here is my best advice on how to embrace these short spring months.
1. Connect with the Sunlight: There is nothing more I want to do than to sleep a few extra minutes in the morning, especially when it’s still cold outside. BUT I have been getting up a little earlier than usual to sit in this chair I have in my sitting room that gets amazing sunlight in the morning. I have a cup of tea and soak up the sun. By the time the morning hustle is over, that chair is in the shade so I have to get up a little earlier to catch it. Getting just a few minutes of sunshine really gets my day started.
2. Reconnect with the Earth: How can you do this? Easy! Go outside and take a walk, a nature hike, or sit on the grass for five minutes. You can even go as far as picking up trash in your neighborhood (Earth Day was last week but it’s not too late!). Enjoy nature and the outdoors! If I am feeling ambitious/have time I love to get in a kayak and paddle around. There is nothing like being on the water that connects you to Mother Earth.
3. Create a Shrine to Spring: This is something super fun you can do with the kids! You can create a little spring scene from a shoe box or a painting if you want to get crafty. But I suggest going outside and gathering things from nature and placing them under a tree. There are tons of branches, leaves and even flowers that have been blown around during the winter that you can find in your own yard. Ask the kiddos what they love about spring!
4. Do Something Creative: I am not huge into crafts, I have to admit. At the end of the day I am EXHAUSTED! The last thing I want to do is paint or make something. I found this awesome class on Atly on hand lettering that is self-paced and fun. Taking a class and getting creative is a a great way to connect with spring awakening. Check out this post on other cool online classes as well.
5. Eat Spring Foods! We can pretty much eat any foods we want all year round, but if you pay attention to what is in season during the spring, you will most likely be eating more local and organic foods. Here is a good spring foods guide.
6. Feed the Birds: If you don’t have a bird feeder, I suggest you get yourself a small one to keep by a window. My husband got a ton of them a few years ago and I always thought it was annoying, but the most beautiful birds come to our yard, and it’s quite magical. I love this little one that goes right on your window.
7. Plant your Feet in the Ground: If all else fails, take your shoes off and go outside. Plant your feet right in grass or even the dirt and close your eyes. Just for a minute and listen to the world around you, breathe in the fresh air, then go inside and clean your feet;)
Photo by Leila Brewster
You also get the Mindful Mama Workbook for FREE just for subscribing!