I think technically a foreign film constitutes subtitles at the bottom of your screen, but these six films consist of subtitled goodies and/or take place anywhere but the US. Since having kids, I hardly ever make the time to sit down and watch a flick. When I find time to relax, I love to watch the same movies I have already seen like Pride and Prejudice and The Sound of Music (so boring I know)! Here are some favorites that have been recommended to me over the last few years. However, if you search Netflix and even OnDemand there are a TON more (and newer) movies to choose from.
1. Ponyo: This is one of the weirdest, and best, animated movies ever. It’s about a girl/fish who befriends a little boy and has some interesting adventures. This movie is perfect for a rainy day and family members of all ages.
2. The Wind Rises: This was the last film of famed Japanese writer and director Hayao Miyazaki about a young boy who yearns to fly planes. This movie is great for the little guys!
3. La Vie En Rose: The story of famous French songbird Edith Piaf played by Marion Cotillard. I LOVE this movie and it’s perfect for a date night at home.
4. The Intouchables: This movie is funny, witty and touching. A true story about a young man who befriends a man crippled by a disease and they form a most unique friendship. This is something for the ladies and the gents.
5. A Cat in Paris: This movie is a little mature in nature, maybe for children who are 6 and older. But it’s so interesting. Something you can definitely watch with the kids to mellow out. The relationship between a girl and her cat and, of course, it takes place in Paris.
6. Life is Beautiful: This is one of those films you just have to see. It’s an Italian tragic-comedy that takes place during WWII that’s touching and completely unforgettable.
Bonus* Definitely watch Amelie if you haven’t yet!!!